Thursday, May 04, 2006

Community Shaping Documents

Richard Hays speaks of Paul's writings as "community forming documents"...I reread Colossians 1:3-14 in that light. Early in the prayer Paul mentions "the love you have for all the saints" and towards the end he speaks of "you...share in the inhertance of the saints." And, of course, all the second person pronouns throughout are plural. Are we really faithful to this emphasis in our ministries and work? I know that it is the Spirit and the Word which around the living Christ create true community..., but how do we work that out in our labors? Just my thoughts this morning.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bill said...

That passage is one of my favorite, so much can be learned from Paul's prayer. When I think of the Community aspect, I am reminded of the sermon on the mount. It is all community related. Especially the "Lord's prayer" which emphasizes that one's relationship with God will not be correct if their relationship with their brother is not right, forgiving of sins.

9:53 AM  
Blogger Jack said...

This is an interesting thought. Two things come to mind. First, learning, and from our perspective, theological education is really a fellowship of learning. When I teach I am being taught and I am learning in the process from my interacton with the community of seminary students.

Second, I remember reading Richard Pratt's book, "God Gave Us Stories" and his emphasis on how the community shapes our understanding of a passage and a biblical truth.

So to respond to your "how to" question, maybe it would help to approach a class not only with what will I impart, but what will I learn from my community of believers, a.k.a. my class.

Perhaps some of this is reflected in Colossians 1:3-14. In 1:3 Paul rejoices in what the Colossians are and what they are becoming as a result of interaction with one another.

4:13 PM  
Blogger dan said...

Bill and Jack, I really appreciated what each of you had to say on the Colossians passage and community. Let's keep this going. Today I had my 13th grandchild....a cute little boy. The Lord is good. Peace.

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home